Views
Helpful
Replies

idle vty (telnet) sessions not timing out

jason.bailey
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I now have vty 0 through 14 occupied on a router, as the idle sessions are not timing out. I have specified exec-timeout 60 0, so it should be timing out after 60 minutes, but some have been idle for 4 days. I suspect that one of the vty processes is locking the running-config as I cannot enter some commands without locking the vty session, and when entering "show running-config" I get "Unable to read configuration. Try again later".

Typing "clear line vty #" does not clear the line. Also, while typing "sh proc mem" I see that the first idle vty line session 66 is taking up 5335612 Bytes of Memory.

So I am wondering if there is an undocumented way to force kill a process or line session - or am I in need of reloading the router?

Thanks in advance.

-Jason

1 Accepted Solution
7 Replies 7

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

You can do a sh tcp br , then find the TCB # , then clear tcp tcb

bug # CSCdk81950

Release Notes

Incomming telnet connections do not get closed after the telnet session

is exited. The tcp connections state remains on the router and the connections

do not timeout and go away and remain until the router is rebooted.

The workaroud is to use "clear tcp " command to clear

the tcb of the hung tcp connection after using "show tcp brief"

to list the tcb''s associated with the tcp connections.

Thanks for the tip. It did in fact clear the hung tcb connections, however I still have idle vty sessions, and I still cannot access the running config.

When I attempt to "sh run" I get the following:

Unable to read configuration. Try again later

Current configuration : 0 bytes

When I attempt to "copy start run" I get the following:

Destination filename [running-config]?

%Error opening system:/running-config (Device or resource busy)

There must be a PID locking the config somehow. Any other suggestions? I am obviously trying to avoid rebooting the router at all costs.

Thanks!

-Jason

what kind of box is it ? what is the code ?

2621xm, running 12.2(11)T8

Thanks man, next time I will search the bugtraq - it just usually times out on me.

I guess I will be updating the IOS :) It seems to be the first bug you listed here, as I did query that QoS MIB.

Thanks again!!

Cheers,

-Jason

I had a similar issue today and the post posted by Jaon solved my proble...kudos to jason

Tx

Ravi