Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IEEE 802.11 and Wired LAN communication

Looking at IEEE 802.11 the wireless LAN has 24 to 30 bytes of MAC Addresses(A) communicate properly with other wireless PC. But for normal Ethernet or 802.1h protocol (wired LAN) has only 12 bytes of MAC addresses.(B)

How does both of the protocol (A) and (B) communicate or link back to one another?

In other words, from (A) 24 to 30 bytes of MAC addresses to (B) 12 bytes of MAC addresses throught mapping or having certain codes in the SNAP to say it is a IEEE 802.11 protocol so that a normal wired LAN computer recieving this packet can recognise it

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: IEEE 802.11 and Wired LAN communication

Hi,

There is no codes in here...It is only some kind of mapping but I am not sure how exactly mapping occurs.

Re: IEEE 802.11 and Wired LAN communication

I think the answer is that A will not understand B. I have found that 802.1H does not interoperate well. I know that 802.11 includes up to four MAC addresses (SA/DA, Transmitting Station/Receiving Station). This takes into account roaming and Wireless Distribution system support (Repeaters and Bridges).

Views
Helpful
Replies