cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IEEE 802.1Q Tunneling

Mark Hovey
Level 1
Level 1

I presently have 5 remote sites who connect to my main office NOC via frame-relay. In each remote location there are several voice, data and management VLANs configured, which are .1Q trunked and transported through their respective frame circuits back to the home NOC. In two of these remote sites, I am planning to shift to a local fiber carrier to move traffic. My understanding is that IEEE 802.1Q Tunneling is probably the most graceful way of keeping my VLAN and trunk structure intact, but the metro transport provider for the fiber is unsure of what equipment will support the Q-in-Q tunneling at his main location, and the endpoints. What would be your recommendation for the primary (core) device, as well as the outlying area devices?

1 Reply 1

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

For the emerging broadband Ethernet-based DSLAM market, the Cisco 10000 router supports Q-in-Q encapsulation.I think 7000 router also supports it but with restrictions.

The following link may definitely provide u with some useful information on Q in Q tunneling

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801f0f4a.html#wp1063459

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: