cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IGMP Immediate Leave & Trunk Ports

paul.hoyland
Level 1
Level 1

If I put IGMP immediate leave on a switch (4507,2950,3750) as a global command will it include the trunk ports.

i.e if the switch snoops a igmp leave request on a trunk port will it stop forwarding that multicast-group out of that trunk port??

cheers

Paul

1 Reply 1

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

ip igmp immediate-leave . It can be a global/interface configuration mode.

Global Configuration Mode

When this command is configured in global configuration mode, it applies to all IGMP-enabled interfaces. Any existing configuration of this command in interface configuration mode will be removed from the configuration. Also, any new configuration of this command in interface configuration mode will be ignored.

Interface Configuration Mode

When this command is configured in interface configuration mode, it applies to an individual interface. Configure this command on an interface if only one IGMP-enabled neighbor is connected to the interface. The neighbor can be either a host or switch running IGMP Snooping. When the ip igmp immediate-leave command is enabled on an interface, the router will not send IGMP group-specific host queries when an IGMP Version 2 leave group message is received from that interface. Instead, the router will immediately remove the interface from the IGMP cache for that group and send Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) prune messages toward sources if this interface was the last one to join that group.

With this info, i think if the trunk port is enabled with igmp and this cmd is used in global mode, it will affect the trunk ports also.