Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IGMP snooping and Multicast Routing

IGMP snooping and Multicast Routing

I have a 7204vxr router,and the IOS version is 12.0.I have confusion about he IGMP snooping and multicast routing.

The router doesn't support IGMP snooping,so I only configure the multicast group statically? If the fastethernet port connects to PC and PC sends a IGMP report message(224.0.1.2)to the router,the router can not learn the group address.Is the description right?

When I use the cmd:ip igmp join-group 224.1.1.2, PC can capture IGMP query message ,IGMP report message(224.0.1.2),and PIM message.why?

The command "ip igmp access-group",and it is used to configure the max number of groups,isn't it? And does it contain the static groups entry?

Need help,please give me some advice.

Thanks!

1 REPLY

Re: IGMP snooping and Multicast Routing

"IGMP Snooping" is used by L2 switches to determine what ports need to receive the multicast stream.

By simply enabling multicast on the router's L3 interface, it should listen for a multicast group's IGMP joins or leaves depending on whether you configure the interface for sparse or dense mode operation.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content