cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Igrp And Ospf And Rip And Sending Packet Out ?

zillah2004
Level 1
Level 1

If I have got a scenario asking me not to send EIGRP packets out any other interfaces except interface Ethernet 0/0 (ip address is 183.1.123.3),,,,,,,,,,,then I can configure the router like this:

Router eigrp 100

Network 183.1.123.3 0.0.0.0------ ip address for fa 0/0,,,not the whole network.

I can this for OSPf as well.

Can I use same procedure with RIP ?

Second question:

For OSPF we choose router-id , why do we need to configure this for EIGRP or IGRP

4 Replies 4

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Router eigrp 100

Network 183.1.123.3 0.0.0.0

With this command, OSPF and EIGRP works only on that interface not any other interface.

In case of RIP, its not possible. You have to use " passive interface " command in order to stop the RIP packets.

in case of EIGRP, router -id is used to identify the originating router for external routes. If an external route is received with the local router ID, the route is discarded. The router ID can be configured with any IP address with two exceptions; 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255 are not legal values and cannot be entered. A unique value should be configured for each router.

HTH,

-amit singh

Thanks Amit

"If an external route is received with the local router ID, the route is discarded. "

Could you please explain the above more ?

Any idea

Hi,

a router will not accept a route which it assumes inserted it into EIGRP itself. This is concluded from the router ID in an update. Its a basic measure to avoid possible routing loops.

hope this helps

Martin

P.S: please rate any post you find helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: