Views
Helpful
Replies

Inactive ports on a 4006 switch ??

fernando_paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the cisco world and have installed a switch that seems to funtionally work ok. However, after setting up the config I am finding that all ports on all modules display an 'inactive' under the port status column. I've tried resetting the whole switch, various modules, supervisor module and tried disabling and re-enabling individual and multiple ports. None of this seems to fix the issue at hand. Because I get an inactive, it means that data will not travel to and from the ports I've enabled. I did look at the mod status and the supervisor mod displayed 'ok' / 'faulty' under the status column. I know this sounds like an 'obvious indicator' of the problem but I have a 4006 switch on another vlan that has the same supervisor module status of 'ok' /'faulty' but it works perfectly(I will look at that one asap too!!). Can anyone advise me of what I can try to do to enable the ports or if there is a config line that I can add or whatever...

Thanks in advance to all....

Regards,

Fernando

4 Replies 4

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

if the 4006 is a vtp client, you need connection to a vtp server which has all the vlans you need on this switch. One easy way to fix the problem is make this the vtp server and define all the vlans.

You would use the command like below to define a vlan 10

set vlan 10

The status may be reporting faculty as you don't have 3 power supplies plugged in.

you can do a "show system" and a show test 1 to find what is faculty.

Thanks so much....your advise was very useful and I am fully operational. Thanks...Do you have any other advise on checking the switch...like diagnostic checks (ie: when weird things are happening-what commands to use when I need to interigate the switch)...

Thanks for you advise....seeeya :-)

It is difficult to give an answer to a vague question like that.

you can check the ports for errors on it (show port)

sh logging buffer (to see any error messages printed)

show proc cpu (to see if there is any high cpu, remember kernel & idel is okay)

I suggest that you read through all these tech tips

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/

Great..

thanks again very muchly 2 U....have a good day..

Regards,

Fernando