Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Inbound NAT (not PAT) on Cisco 804 dialup ISDN connection

I have a need to simulate a customer that has a link to the internet, and that is doing NAT for some testing. I have a Cisco 804 and an ISDN dialup connection to the internet and I was at first thinking I might be able to use that, but now I'm thinking not. I would like to be able to use this to test VPN connectivity originated from at a central site to a Cisco 831 that is behind in a DMZ through a device doing NAT.

The basic topology would be {Internet}...(ISDN dialup)[Cisco 804]....[Cisco 831)....{local lan}.

I've done LOTS of NAT, but in this case:

*There would only be one IP address assigned to the WAN interface after the PPP dialup is complete

*The only address that we would be routable to from the internet would be that negotiated ISDN interface address.

So, I'm thinking I could set the 804 up to do PAT, and outbound VPNs would work, but don't really think that I could to one-2-one static NAT, so inbound traffic to the the IP address of the BRI interface being translated, then forwarded on to a device on the inside the 804 (the 831 to be exact).

Am I crazy, or is this not doable?

Thanks

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Inbound NAT (not PAT) on Cisco 804 dialup ISDN connection

I don't think this is doable since the inbound connections will need to know the IP address to be used. Since this might vary in your case everytime a dialup connection is made the clients on internet will not know this address.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content