Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Infrastructure upgrade

Hi,

I have about 200 connections at corporate location. I am considering purchasing 6 Catalyst 3550 switches (5 live, 1 backup) to connect endusers. These units would be uplinked using the 3550-12G. However, someone questioned why the 3550 switches and not a different model. I like the 3500 series from experience. My rebuttal was that our enduser requirements are not that sophisticated. 85% of corporate users are moving less than 1k packets. We are moving to a RDBS, no VoIP, no video, no high level security is required, and no sophisticated routing.

Do I really need 4000 or 6000 series switch for my network?

We are upgrading the entire infrastructure switches, firewall, VPN Appliances. Does cisco have a tool like configMaker so we can build and configure this network centrally?

1 REPLY

Re: Infrastructure upgrade

The 3550-12G will be sufficient for this. It looks better if the core is a heavier type of switch but from your arguments I understand that you have calculated your needs. That is always the best way to go. You should only keep in mind that your organizations demands might change during the lifetime of the switch. This could mean that the device eventually must be phased out earlier than planned, thus costing extra money.

When you take this in your considerations and you still end up with the 3550-12G as best option, buy it!

Regards,

Leo

Views
Helpful
Replies