cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Input errors in a FE at 100Mbps/Full Dupex?

hmorin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a 7206 with a FE at 100Mbps/Full Duplex connected to a Catalyst 2948, and I have detected that on peak hours, when the traffic rises up to 15 Mbps in/out (30 Mbps in total) input errors are detected on the interface on a rate of 0.2 errors per second. I know is a low level of errors, but I wonder if this is normal?, I mean, It is normal to have some errors due high traffic volume?

Cabling and connectors are Ok, they comply with the TIA/EIA 568B standard, and both the interface and lan switch port are configured at 100Mbps/Full Duplex. Cabling lenght is about 4 meters (13 ft)

Any idea? Any comment will be apreciated?. Thanks in Advance.

Hugo.

6 Replies 6

2rsliteris
Level 1
Level 1

What is the cpu utilization on the router & switch during peak time? I've seen routers start dropping packets when trying to maintain routing tables during peak traffic due to heavy cpu utilization. This can occur if you have alot of subinterfaces all sending & receiving routing updates. If packets are being dropped from input queue, perhaps the below link might help.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/63/queue_drops.html

Good luck.

bstone
Level 1
Level 1

I had a case open on this same issue on multple servers. I'm running a Cat 6509 with native IOS. Cisco could never come up with a fix. I expeirenced the input errors when traffice was peaked (Backups). Hard setting the speed and duplex settings on both ends of the link helped some but not much. The cisco engineers said not to worry about it if it was under 2%. Still I want clean links!

I have the same issue right now. 6509 w/Native, 100/Full to Unix and NT servers taking input and CRC errors. We have replaced everything, NIC cards, cables, moved to different ports/modules on the 6509, all no help. It doesn't seem to effect traffic, but it still isn't right. Any ideas?

If you're getting CRCs on your switch's full duplex interface, verify that the duplex setting of the Unix host is correct. If the switch is hard coded to Full, and the client is set to Auto, you may be negotiating half duplex on the client side.

Is your client getting errors as well?

rmahad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hugo

Is this problem consistent? Can you see the problem after clearing the counters?This is just a suggestion. As far as from your input, I could see that everything is fine. Though I don't have any clue about 7206 and Cat2948, I would just like to know if you are experiencing similar problem with a different IOS image or equivalent. Please correct me if my suggestion is incorrect.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of input errors are you getting? Something that I ran into once was port monitoring degrading the links that were being monitored. In this case, I was getting ignored packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: