Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

inserting delay on ethernet line

I recently had a buffer failure in a newer 2924 switch which effected my trunking line to my router. This pointed out some possible areas for improvement with respect to my hsrp timers. I am trying to simulate the issue again for test purposes. My question is does anyone know of a test device which can be used to enter in delay on an ethernet line somewhere in the range of 1 to 4 seconds?

the failure I had was causing packets to and from the router to be lost for about a 1 or 2 second duration. I've tried every command I could find in the switch itself to enter delay on the interface but the ones that exist seem to be for serial interfaces only despite the fact that the command exists at all in the switch. I've checked several places including agilent for such a test set and they all say they dont make something to do that on ethernet. any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
2 REPLIES

Re: inserting delay on ethernet line

found the answer to my own question this time. looks like there is a network emulator made by packetstorm that does exactly what I am looking for.

Green

Re: inserting delay on ethernet line

"The Cloud" by Shun-Ra might be something to look at as well.

It allows you to take "snapshots" of any segment, then use that segment's performance and propagation characteristics to emulate that segment (the parameters can be edited to model more (or other) potential line conditions.

www.shunra.com

They have some other interesting products as well.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies