Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing an IOS Image - Catalyst 2924

ochosting
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently purchased a Cisco 2924-XL-EN switch. About 8Mb of ram, and 4K of flash, (probably other way around). It currently only has a boot image, and i need to install the IOS image. Now reading before, on the cisco site. I tried to get to the ROMMON so i can do an xmodem transfer of the image. But that doenst seem to go, i keep trying to send the break command so i can get to the rommon. I am probably doing something wrong.

I dont see a way to install the IOS image. Unless i can be enlightened, i would be most appriciated of the time you took to reply to my post.

the prompt looks something like this

=====================

...blah blah, cannot find flash[0]:c2900-xl-cr2rl.bin

switch:

Then i guess i select the boot option, but somehow i cant get to rommon. Which i know where i can get the IOS in there with xmodem.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

AFAIK the ROMMON prompt on the 2924XL looks like this:

switch:

To get there, you have to:

1.Attach a terminal or PC with terminal emulation (for example, Hyper Terminal) to the console port of the switch. Use the following terminal settings:

Bits per second (baud): 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: Xon/Xoff

2. Unplug the power cable.

3. Hold down the mode button located on the left side of the front panel, while reconnecting the power cable to the switch.

For 2900/3500XL and 3550 Series switches: release the mode button after the LED above Port 1x goes out.

Note: LED position may vary slightly depending on the model.

----

This will get you into ROMMON (switch:).

To copy a new software image from ROM Monitor, check this link:

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a0080094955.shtml#mon

and scroll down to (Section B) Copying a New Software Image from ROM Monitor.

HTH,

GP

Ahh, dumba$$ me.

Thanks for showing me the light. Ill try that tomorrow when i get in.

THANKS!!

Not applicable

Xmodem Procedure:-

After download the IOS image you need to upload the file via xmodem, find the procedure for the same -

The following are the XMODEM procedures :-

Switch: flash_init (return)

Switch: load_helper (return)

Switch: copy xmodem:filename.bin flash:filename.bin (return)

After pressing the enter button, go to the command line of hyperterminal, select transfer then Send file. Press the browse button and find the IOS image. Change the protocol to xmodem and press send. At this point the switch will start to download the IOS image, it could take up to 45 minutes.

Switch:

Switch: set BOOT flash: filename.bin (return)

Switch:reset

Do let me know if that works

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: