cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

inter-vlan routing using IEEE 802.1q

ksonaike
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco router 2600 that I want to use for Inter-vlan routing. I entered this command at the sub-interface

router2600(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1q 1

I received this error message

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker

With this I cannot assign Ip address to the sub interface . The error message I get when I do that is

router2600(config-subif)#ip address 172.16.1.254 255.255.0.0

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that subinterface is already configured as part of an IEE 802.10, IEE802.1Q or ISL vLAN

My IOS is 12.2(1a)

5 Replies 5

don.wolf
Level 1
Level 1

Ensure that you are trying to apply this to a FastEthernet interface only. ISL is not supported on 10BaseT interfaces.

Thanks Don,

The Interface is fastethernet. My main problem is that I need to encapsulate the subinterface with dot1q which is for IEEE802.1q. but there is no encapsulation command at the interface and subinterface. If I don't encapsulate there is now way the sub interface will knew the vlan that is routing for, neither can I assign IP address to the subinterface. My ios version is 12.2(1a).

Hello,

To enable the inter-vlan routing (ISL or DotQ) on C2600, you must have at least C2620 model with at least IP Plus (!) Feature set IOS istalled. IP-only version does not enable this functionality. What is your version ? (show ver, show flash). See also the Feature Navigator for Cisco IOS tool on CCO TAC (http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/FeatureNav/FN.pl).

Regards

Jozef

I have IP Only version, with this my problem is solved thanks

spavee
Level 1
Level 1

Which sub-interface that you configured? So,if you encap dot1q you CANNOT configure on interface fa0/0.1.

You have to begin configure interface fa 0/0.2.

Because interface fa 0/0.1 has reserved.

Please acknowleage me?