cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter Vlan Routing with 1721

saashfaq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does Cisco 1721 supports inter-vlan routing? I have 4 different images taken from "Software Advisor" on CCO. Those images suggested by software advisor do show support of 802.1Q vlan/trunking on 1721, but when I load those images on 1721, I can create fastethernet subinterface, but there's no option for encapsulation dot1q or isl.

Can anyone suggest if 1721 can support intervlan routing? If yes, then with which software/hardware.

5 Replies 5

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

Yes the 1721 can do intervlan routing. Are you using the IP Plus IOS code or another release?

Thanks for prompt reply.

I tried Enterprise base 12.3(14)T3, 12.3(14)T5, 12.4(5) IP Plus, all with same results. Under subinterface I can see the encapsulation command, but when I enter "encapsulation ?" the router says unrecognized command. If I hit enter after typing encapsulation, then it says incomplete command. And this happens with all of above images (which I believe are quite latest ones).

Could it be a hardware limitiation as well?

thanks

I actually had exactly the same problem as you have described (1721 as well) until I downloaded NON-CORRUPT version of image. Cisco TAC engineer has eventually suggested that and that worked. So, make sure that you are using enough RAM and flash and (!) proper, non-corrupt image.

By the way, one more comment, I'm trying to create intervlan routing using the fixed FE port on 1721. May be this particular port does not support that. it may require installing a separate FE module in it. But need to see comments if this is true.

Thanks

Hi Friend,

Your router is running into a hardware problem if you are already running an IP PLUS feature IOS and still encapsulation is not supported.

Check this bug

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCsa70023

You have to get the part replaced.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: