cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-VLAN routing with 2621 Router [IOS 12.0(7)T]

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I'm trying to config a 2621 Router ,IOS 12.0(7)T version, but I can't configure any sub-interface to use an ISL encapulation. I have a 2924XL configed with 2 VLAN, 1 & 2, and 1 switchport as a trunk using ISL encapsulation. Is there anything I need to do to the 2621 Router before I can use ISL encapulation or is this not available on a 12.0(7)T IOS? This is what I'm doing to the router:

int f0/0

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shut

exit

int f0/0.2

encap isl 2

ERROR

Please help, Thanks!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your correct, the IP Address should be put on the sub-int. However, in order to use ISL Vlan encapsulation, you have to have at a minimum IP Plus or Desktop Plus software. This is what I got from Cisco at least. Here's the article I had.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949fc.shtml

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have the IP Plus, feature pack or not? I believe this is needed in order to do VLAN configuration. If you have CCO login, look at the following article for minimum and suggested IOS usage:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/50.shtml

Josh

Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have a CCO login and I don't think I have IP Plus, is that something I can download or do I need a CCO login. Will an upgrade to IOS 7.1 or 7.2 do the job as well?

Yes, in order to get access to the IOS upgrades, you need to have a CCO login. Do you have the serial # of the router or the purchase order you got when you bought it? I believe you can use either one of these. You can also call the TAC and they may be able to give you one time access to it. Don't quote me on that though.

Josh

Not applicable

Will upgrading to IOS 12.1 or higher fix the problem?

What you need is to get the IP Plus version of the IOS. Do you know how much DRAM and FLASH your 2621 router has?

Also if you will, type SHO FLASH at the enable prompt and tell me what image you currently have installed.

Josh

matthew.donahue
Level 1
Level 1

Get the IP Address out of the interface. You put IP addresses on the sub interfaces. Also, your IOS version should work.

You could also try using interface vlans. Set up a vlan to use as management to give IP addresses to your equipment interfaces and switches. Then set up one for each of your user vlans. The users will then use the vlan interface as their gateway. As long as all the vlans are being trunked between the devices then you will not have any problems. This way, you don't have to set up subinterfaces. Just an alternate solution

Your correct, the IP Address should be put on the sub-int. However, in order to use ISL Vlan encapsulation, you have to have at a minimum IP Plus or Desktop Plus software. This is what I got from Cisco at least. Here's the article I had.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk390/technologies_tech_note09186a00800949fc.shtml

Not applicable

I upgraded my IOS to 12.2 (c2600-is-mz.122-16.bin) and that fixed the problem. I can now use the encapsulation command on my subinterfaces. Thanks for all the help.

Mel

Good...I'm glad that worked for ya!