Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Inter-VlanRouting with 3750G-24TS-S

What is the difference between 3750G-24TS-S Standard Image and 3750G-24TS-E Enhanced image ???

I want to use a 3750G-24TS-S Standard Image as my small network backbone so i need inter vlan routing, this switch is layer 3 capable??,,,,,,

thanks.

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Inter-VlanRouting with 3750G-24TS-S

SMI does basic IP routing (static routes and RIP routing protocol).

EMI does basic and advanced IP routing (OSPF and EIGRP routing protocols; IP multicast routing).

Forwarding rate of IP packets at Layer 3 may be different between SMI and EMI loads, although the hardware is the same. I'll check on this. But I'm pretty sure Layer 2 switching speeds are wire-speed on all ports.

That's about it.

If your network is relatively small and you have VLANs, the SMI should be fine. Each VLAN uses an IP address on the 3750 as it's default gateway; and you can point the 3750's default gateway to the LAN interface of a firewall or router that gets you to the Internet. (On that firewall or router, you're going to have to configure static routes back to the subnets on the remote VLANs of your network, or you can let them learn about the remote subnets from the 3750-SMI using RIP, if they also support RIP.)

Hope this helps.

Re: Inter-VlanRouting with 3750G-24TS-S

Hi,

The diff between SMI and EMI is the routing capabilities. SMI supports only RIP, EMI supports all routing protocols. For Inter-VLAN communication SMI will be able to perform the job.

Regards,

Vinod

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content