Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Interconnecting VLANs with a Catalyst 3548XL and an Intel 480T

I have 2 VLANs in a catalyst 3548XL that want to connect to an Intel 480T through a Trunk port. Is it possible? How?

I've configured (in the 3548XL) a 1000GB port as a 802.1Q Trunk containing the 2 VLANs. But on the other side (intel 480T) what do I have to do? It seems it hasn't trunks...

I have already (easily!) connected two Catalyst 3548XL with a Trunk port. Now I want to connect one of them to the Intel 480T.

PS: I'm sorry if this is not the best place to put my question. I didn't find a better place in this site.

Jose Ramada

Community Member

Re: Interconnecting VLANs with a Catalyst 3548XL and an Intel 48

I looked on Intel site for docs on how to configure 802.1Q, but the link was broken. However, I do have one thing for you to check. You will want to make sure your native VLAN on each switch match. Here's the config for your 3548:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan xx

switchport mode trunk

The xx value should be the same VLAN number on both switches. The Intel site says the 480T supports Tagged VLAN and it will forward the packet to the correct port. So, I would think this will work. I had problems with connecting a Dot1Q trunk to a Nortel switch and the problem was caused by a mis-matched native VLAN.

CreatePlease to create content