cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Port Channel on the Router

mmadruga
Level 1
Level 1

I created a port-channel interface on the Router 7500 using the following command:

Router(config)# interface port-channel number

Now I try to delete this interface but i receive the following message:

Router(config)# no interface port-channel number

% Removal of physical interfaces is not permitted

Anything else was done related to channelling on the router or even on the Catalyst 5000 connected to this router.

How can I delete these interfaces?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of IOS are you running on the 7500? We had some cosmetic bugs which would print this message, but the port channel interface would be removed. Let us know if this is the case

IOS version on the 7500:

IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-JSV-M), Version 12.0(6a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Another point: I created the port channel interface 1 and port channel interface 2, but without any other commands, the port channel interface numbers 3 and 4 also appear. To test, I tried to create the port channel interface 5 and it appears the following message:

Router(config)# interface port-channel 5

% No interface specified for interface_command

P.S. The 7500 has no fastethernet , only 4 ethernet interfaces.

Thanks.

You cannot group ethernet(10Mbps) into a channel. You'll need fastethernet or gig-ethernet to do a FEC or GEC

Yes, I know this. Actually I was looking for a logical interface (as null interface) as a possible solution for another thing. So, i saw that there was the port channel interface as option for configuration on the router too. Just for curiosity and to test I configured this interface and now i only want to delete it.

Thanks.

As I mentioned earlier, it's due the following cosmetic bug.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdk16456

The port channel should go away from your config

We replaced our IOS image to the version 12.0.23 and... the bug was still there and... our frame-relay links did not go up(without any reason, it would be another bug?)

We returned to our first version.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: