Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interface uptime

hi i have a cisco 3640 router, and last night my network monitor program send me emails saying that the ping service to servers in a remote location where unreachable. So what i want to check, is when was the last time my interface went down. i know i can check the router uptime with sh ver, but is there a way to do it just for a specific interface? or is there another way i can troubleshoot my problem? my remote servers didn't go down but rather i think the t1 went down or somehting.

thanks,

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Re: interface uptime

Hello,

if you turn on logging on the router you should be able to see the times the interface went down. Just make sure that you configure the datetime/uptime for the logging, the whole thing would look like this:

Router(config)#logging buffered

Router(config)#service timestamps log datetime msec localtime --> this shows you the logging entries based on the time the router shows with the ´show clock´ command

or

Router(config)#service timestamps log uptime msec localtime --> this shows you the logging entries based on the uptime of the router

When you issue the ´show log´ command, you should see entries telling you when the interface went down.

Since you are saying that you are using a network monitoring program: you can also have the interface send SNMP traps when the interface goes down/up.

In interface configuration mode, type ´snmp traps link-status´.

HTH,

Georg

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content