Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Interface vlan 1 configuration

I have 5 Vlans (including Vlan 1) configured on a 4507r and 3550 switches. Vlan 2-5 are configured with the cable-range and AppleTalk zone. Using a MAC computer, I am able to see the zones I created as well as access servers belonging to these Vlans (vlan 2-5). However, the AppleTalk settings (cable-range and zone) I am entering for Vlan 1 (where all my servers will temporarily belong to) are showing up as invalid, which I think makes it impossible for the resources in Vlan 1 to be accessible. I tried different settings, but still no luck. Is there a reason why I cannot configure interface Vlan 1 with AppleTalk settingsl, but for the other vlan interfaces it works fine? How can I make the resources on vlan 1 be available to my MAC users on different Vlans?

The trunk link is over fiber using the 802.1q protocol Interface vlan 1 is using a class A IP address with a 16 bit subnet mask and vlan 2-5 are using a Class A IP address with a 23 bit subnet mask

Thanks for helping

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Interface vlan 1 configuration

AppleTalk cable-ranges must be unique to each interface; but zone names can span or overlap interfaces. Are you trying to overlap cable-ranges?

Re: Interface vlan 1 configuration

I decided to not overlap my networks and assign them with a distinct ip address, appletalk cable range\address, and zone name. For example, the following is a brief summary of my config:

interface Vlan 1

ip address 10.1.0.1 /16

Interface vlan 2

ip address 10.3.0.1 /23

appletalk cable-range 2-2

appletalk address 2.1

appletalk zone Vlan 2

Interface vlan 3

ip address 10.3.2.1 /23

appletalk cable-range 3-3

appletalk address 3.1

appletalk zone Vlan 3

and so on for for 3 additional vlans

The problem I am having is that I want to assign the appletalk cable range\address and zone name for vlan 1, but it tells me that the cable range I am entering is invalid. I tried several cable range (i.e 7-7 with 7.1 for the A\talk address) but I always get the same "invalid" error. All my servers are on vlan 1 and since I cannot assign the appletalk settings to vlan 1 all my MAC users cannot see the Apple resources.

Do you know what could cause vlan 1 to not accept the appletalk settings?

Thanks for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content