cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal t1 CSU/DSU

rj.remien
Level 1
Level 1

I have an old router that is intermittenetly passing traffic. I recently put a 1721 with a t1 csu/dsu card in its place. It is a 64K frame relay line. The status shows "Serial0 line is down, line protocol is down". I have read http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk628/technologies_troubleshooting_procedures09186a00800a758d.shtml. The serial line was up with the old router. I tried placing the csu/dsu in both wic slots and the status never changed.

1. Is there a command or setting to make the status change to "Serial line is up, line protocol is down" without a CD signal from the Telco? What about without a cable attached to the csu/dsu?

I could not find a command or any csu/dsu settings to do this without a CD so I am guessing the t1 card is faulty.

Thanks,

RJ

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

you can try 2 things

'no keep ' under the serial interface and/or the 'ignore dcd ' command

b-price
Level 1
Level 1

If you've verified that the DLCI, lmi type etc. are all correct call the phone company and make sure they can loop to both CSUs.

Thanks for the responses. I was really trying to find out if the Serial interface could be up without a cable attached. For instance, "Serial0 line is up, line protocol is down". The only way to have this status is to have a signal into the CSU/DSU itself, correct? I was wondering because the T1 card in my 1721, was status of down/down when 5 minutes before putting the router in, the line was functional with a differenet router. This leads me to believe there is a hardware failure with the T1 card.

Thanks,

RJ

did you configure the card ?

'service-module t1 timeslots xx ' under the serial interface the xx is the amout of DS0's you are using

Yes, I configured this. But this will not bring the status, to "Serial line is up, line protocol is down". I am pretty sure you need a valid Carrier Detect from the telco via a CAT5 cable to the CSU/DSU to attain this status.

Thanks,

RJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco