cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

internet ip addressing

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

If I have a spare internet ip from my isp, Do have still have to nat this across on my router from whatever the lan address is, or could I actually put the ip they have given me on the actual server and if so what gateway would I use for it ?

thanks

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

you can also have a loopback interface configured with the spare ip and have the NAT (static nat statement/configuration) translation to the server with that public ip.

regds

You could have a one-to-one static NAT for the server and dynamic (overload) NAT for the rest of the computers in the LAN

So do I always need to use nat when advertising servers etc on the internet or could I put in my isp's ip address and there gateway if possible ?

the only way you would not need to NAT is if your ISP is giving you a separate Public subnet that you can use on the inside of your router (whether it is physical segment or a public VLAN)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: