cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internetwork communication

k-dantzler
Level 1
Level 1

I have a private class c network. I'm involved in a project that requires a number of new servers be placed on a network in order for them to communicate. My solution is to create another private network (class a) so that these servers can communicate among themselves without increasing network traffice across my network. I have to be able to let the new class a network communicate with the existing class c network for network authentication and access to the internet. My goals are:

1. Keep the new servers network traffic independent of my existing network.

2. Allow the new network servers to be able to communicate with my existing network for network authentication, device use (printers) and to access the internet.

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

1: What exactly is your question?

2: how many servers do you have? A few million?

Probably a second class C network will do the job as well.

Is my solution the best way to go for what I'm trying to accomplish? I'm have 11 Application servers. Just curious would there be any benefit to using a second class C network as opposed to a class A network?

Doesn't matter if you use a class c or class a really, as long as you know which is the servers and which is the users.

I am assuming that you already have an existing network for your users and you are just trying to separate your servers. If this is the case then the design would be based off the equipment you already have. If you have something like a Cisco 2621 that has two ethernet interfaces and you have a small to medium sized office, then you could simply get another switch and plug the servers into it and it into the second ethernet port on the router.

If you are stuck with only one switch and one fastethernet port, then we have to get into VLANing and stuff like that. More info would be helpful.

James

James,

Your assessment is correct. I have a Cisco 1720 Router and I have 2 Fast Ethernet cards in it. I just wanted confirmation that this solution wasn't off in left field some where. Thanks for your input.

Ken

If you are running OSPF or another routing protocol, don't forget to add the new network to the routing statements. All the Microsoft traffic should pass no problem so you will still be able to browse the network of both the users and the servers and share printers and the like.

Also, be sure that whatever device you are using to NAT and Firewall functions is updated as well.

These are just a couple of things that have caused problems in the past.