Views
Helpful
Replies

Interpretation of show interfaces switching command

lauekh
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a 1760 router with VPN Accelerator module inside and I have configured things like GRE Tunneling, IPSec 3DES, CBWFQ QoS and policing on the serial interface and I want to figure out if the router is doing CEF/Fast/Process switching.

I did a "show interfaces switching" command and the output is attached in below. I've searched through the doc but failed to find any explanation of the output.

Could anyone here come to help? Thank a lot.

4 Replies 4

msdonahue
Level 1
Level 1

Try looking at "show ip interface". This will tell you if Fast/CEF swithing is enabled on the interface.

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

Most packets are being fast/CEF switched, per the "packets in" and "packets out" columns of the interfaces. I believe that this command can't differentiate between fast switched packets and CEF switched packets, so another command like 'show int x' (suggested earlier) can confirm for you that CEF is enabled on each interface. You can also use "show cef not-cef-switched" to get an idea of how many packets aren't being CEF switched, and why.

See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/cef_whichpath.html

This is correct--show interface switching can't differentiate between cef and fast switched packets, and doesn't count hardware and distributed switched packets, as far as I know.

:-)

Russ.W

thank you all for your information.

=)