Views
Helpful
Replies

Interview question

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

one guy asked me in interview. when port fast is enabled and that port is connected to another switch loop is formed on the switch.

Because of this switch hss hung. you have console access to switch, without rebooting router how will u solve the problem?

Regards

skrao

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I agree. I think the way the question was asked with the added detail of the "hung switch" would be consfusing even to someone who is a route/switch guru.

If the interviewer was looking for a Portfast BPDU-Guard answer, this was not the best way to pose the question.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

It sounds like the interviewer was looking for an answer about the spanning tree protection feature PortFast BPDU-Guard.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a008009482f.shtml

Please remember to rate all helpful posts.

Regards,

Brad

dnewell24
Level 1
Level 1

What was his answer? Not saying I’m a switch guru but if the switch is not responding or “hung” how else would you get it to respond without rebooting?

I agree. I think the way the question was asked with the added detail of the "hung switch" would be consfusing even to someone who is a route/switch guru.

If the interviewer was looking for a Portfast BPDU-Guard answer, this was not the best way to pose the question.

Hello,

what about disabling the port on the other switch thus breaking the loop, getting switch responsive again and then BPDU guard?

Again I agree, that there are better ways of asking for the feature (if it was the intention).

Hope this helps! Pllease rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco