Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

InterVlan routing on a 3560g with Express 500g

First of all can a 3560g do intervlan routing? I would think so if its a layer 3 switch.

The next part is, i have configured intervlan routing on routers and it was pretty simple. Create subinterfaces and then set the encryption type and that was about it. The cisco papers tell me to go to

config t

int gig0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encap dot1q

end

show int switchport

when i do this at the switchport mode trunk command gives me an error that it cant be enabled while encryption is set to auto. So first i set switchport trunk encaps dot1q and then switchport mode trunk. Is that ok? will it work the same way. My next question is how about the subinterfaces, do i just create subinterfaces on the interface i created the trunk on? if so will this route between the 2 interfaces?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: InterVlan routing on a 3560g with Express 500g

Hi

Cisco 3560G is a L3 switch wherein you can configure the intervlan routing function.

do confirm whether you gotta ip routing keyed in under the global config mode so that it can take care of the same.

yes as u have mentioned you need to mention or configure the encapsulation type before keying in the trunk related commands.

hope you have already done with switchport trunk encap dot1q which will tell the encapsulation mode to be used.

aFAIK u dont need to have the subinterface created in the L3 switch create the vlan in the vlan database and check whether the vlans are active.

Also create L3 SVI thats interface vlanxxx for the respective vlans..

Also make sure that the port connecting to the switches are configured as Trunk ports on both the sides..

Also check whether ur permitting the required vlans on the trunk...

regds

2 REPLIES

Hi

Cisco 3560G is a L3 switch wherein you can configure the intervlan routing function.

do confirm whether you gotta ip routing keyed in under the global config mode so that it can take care of the same.

yes as u have mentioned you need to mention or configure the encapsulation type before keying in the trunk related commands.

hope you have already done with switchport trunk encap dot1q which will tell the encapsulation mode to be used.

aFAIK u dont need to have the subinterface created in the L3 switch create the vlan in the vlan database and check whether the vlans are active.

Also create L3 SVI thats interface vlanxxx for the respective vlans..

Also make sure that the port connecting to the switches are configured as Trunk ports on both the sides..

Also check whether ur permitting the required vlans on the trunk...

regds

Where do i set my gateway for each vlan if i dont need create sub interfaces?

Views
Helpful
Replies