cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

InterVlan routing on cisco 2811

edjbartos
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to do intervlan routing on a cisco 2811 fitted with a HWIC 4ESW card. I have created 3 vlans each with a different subnet ip address. Can anyone give me advice on how i would go about doing intervlan routing? Thanks in advance.

20 Replies 20

Hi,

As the vlans that you have created are directly connected, you just need to enable ip routing for perfomring inter-vlan routing. Enter the command 'ip routing' at the config prompt. That should work.

Refer the following link-->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html

Hope this helps!

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

Thanks for responding. When i do "show ip route" it indeed shows that the 3 vlans are directly connected. As you have suggested i have done "ip routing" Now i have tried to ping the different interfaces and i get "destination unreachabe. Any ideas?

Hi,

You are welcome.

Can you please post the configuration?

Also have you given the command 'no shut' on all your vlans??

Regards,

AbhisheK

Hi,

As the vlans that you have created are directly connected, you just need to enable ip routing for perfomring inter-vlan routing. Enter the command 'ip routing' at the config prompt. That should work.

Refer the following link-->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html

Hope this helps!

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

Hello,

make sure your configuration looks like this (IP addresses are arbitrary, you are probably using different ones):

ip routing

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/2

switchport access vlan 2

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/3

switchport access vlan 3

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/4

switchport access vlan 4

spanning-tree portfast

!

interface Vlan2

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan3

ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface Vlan4

ip address 192.168.4.1 255.255.255.0

Make sure your Vlans exist in the Vlan database, you can verify this with the 'show vlan' exec command.

Where are you actually pinging from ?

Obviously, if you ping from a workstation, make sure the default gateway and subnet mask match the ones of the Vlan interface on the router...

Regards,

GNT

edjbartos
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for responding. When i do "show ip route" it indeed shows that the 3 vlans are directly connected. As you have suggested i have done "ip routing" Now i have tried to ping the different interfaces and i get "destination unreachabe. Any ideas?

Hii,

not to be more confused , it could be a small problem, so pls post ur config for your router & switch..

edjbartos
Level 1
Level 1

to GlobalNetTech

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your config example, with the exeption of the ip addresses for the diferent subnets.I have a laptop connected to the router and have tried to ping from one of the vlan interfaces ( i have changed the laptop ip to match the vlan)I can ping the interface on the vlan ok but if i try to ping a different interface on a different vlan i am still getting destination unreachable . i have also connected to FastEthernet0/0 with the same result?

Make sure interface is up for fe 0/0 fe 0/1 fe 0/2. good luck

Hello,

as previously suggested, if possible, can you post the configuration of the router, as well as the output of 'show ip route' ?

Regards,

GNT

Do a "show vlan" and make sure all your layer 2 vlans are defined. They should show active and it will tell you what ports are assigned to that vlan. Also when you are pinging , do a show ip int brief and make sure all the interfaces are up , you will need at least one active device on that vlan to bring it to a up/up state. i think you are a little confused on what a layer 2 vlan definition and layer 3 SVI is .

edjbartos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I really do appreciate you all trying to help.Thanks.

i enclose a copy of my running config as well as the out from "show ip route" I have sent this as an attachment, hope this works, thanks again

Hello,

the output in the text file is somewhat scrambled, but it looks like only your Vlan2 and Vlan4 interfaces are up, while Vlan3 is not, probably because there is no active port on Vlan3.

When you connect a device to either the switchport configured to Vlan2 or Vlan4, can you then ping the respective other interface ?

Regards,

GNT

edjbartos
Level 1
Level 1

i have a laptop connected to vlan 2 and one to vlan 4. When i try to ping to the other vlan interface from each laptop i get "Destination host unreachable"