Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan routing problem

0r8it
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've encountered a strange problem while setting up what should have been a fairly straightforward 'router on a stick' config between a 1700-series router and a 3500XL switch.

All is fine on the 3500; VLANs are on, switchports are assigned, trunk port is set up. The problem occurs on my 1700. This is running 12.2, and as well as the standard 10BT port, I've added an FE card to the 1st WIC interface.

I create a subint on the FE port by doing the following:

-int F0.1

When I proceed to the next logical step- to set up encapsulaion, for VLAN 200:

-encapsulation dot1q 200

I find that it thinks there's an error after the 'encapsulation' command- the caret symbol appears below the 'd' in 'dot1q'.

I thought the router may have wanted to use isl or something, but I find I get the same problem if I substiture 'isl' for 'dot1q'.

Interestingly, while in subinterface config if mode, '?' does show that encapsulation is available as a command, so it should work. If I enter encapsulation on its own, then a ? to see what commands are available next, I get an 'unrecognised command'!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

regards & TIA-

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

The answer may be platform dependent and/or release dependent. Some of the 1700 support VLAN trunking and some do not. And it may be that some releases - and feature sets - support it while others do not. Perhaps you can supply specifics of which 1700 model and which version and feature set you are running (output of show version is the easy way to show this).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

The answer may be platform dependent and/or release dependent. Some of the 1700 support VLAN trunking and some do not. And it may be that some releases - and feature sets - support it while others do not. Perhaps you can supply specifics of which 1700 model and which version and feature set you are running (output of show version is the easy way to show this).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

Make sure that the IOS your running on the 1700 is a IP Plus feature set. trunking on a router needs at least an IP Plus feature set

Please rate helpful posts..

That is exactly the problem he is encountering.

Thanks Rick and all for your answers, guys. I think you've probably hit the nail squarely on the head- I hadn't realised this was an IP Plus feature; I'm not in front of the box right now but I'm pretty sure its an ordinary old IOS its running. Whats fooled me is the fact that the commands themselves seem to be listed as available, I'll have to watch that in future!

best regards,

Gary

Sorry- somehow manage to screw up the voting on that won!

Gary