cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Intervlan Routing with 6500 switch

alatzas
Level 1
Level 1

I am designing an upgrade to our current network that will contain a 6500 switch and i wanted to setup vlans with the switch. I know that this switch has the ability to perform routing on its own so i do not need an external router to route between the vlans but if that is the case what default gateway do i give each vlan? Do i give the vlan ip address as the default gateway for the end devices or do i use an IP address in the switch somehow as the default gateway?

Thanks.

Pete

3 Replies 3

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Think of the MSFC as a router with many different interfaces. Your router itself would only have one default gateway for all those interfaces. For the clients, they will sit in each VLAN that you create. The clients default gateway will be the VLAN IP address (or HSRP address) on the 6500 that they sit. So, if you create vlan100 and put an IP address of 10.10.10.1 on the vlan100 interface..the 10.10.10.1 address would be the gateway for the clients in vlan 100. If you create a vlan200 and put an IP address of 10.11.11.1 on that interface..all the clients that are in vlan200 would have the gateway address of 10.11.11.1.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. That makes sense. I would imagine then at that case since everything is sitting directly connected to the device then the 6500 will does not need routes for each network - correct?

Pete

Correct. All VLANned networks will be known to the MSFC's routing tabled as "connected by VLANXXX".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: