Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

InterVLAN routing with Catalyst 2950

Is the Catalyst 2950 able to perform InterVLAN routing? That is, if I create three VLANs on a 2950, can it perform routing/L3 switching between them?

If the answer is no, do you know which is the lowest-end Cisco model that allows InterVLAN routing? Maybe 3750?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: InterVLAN routing with Catalyst 2950

The 2950 is a layer 2 switch. It can define the VLANs but it can not route.

HTH

Rick

Purple

I would say your guess is probably right I believe the 3750 is probably the lowest priced box that will do L2/L3 or you can look for a used older 3550 . The 2950 is the only L2 box that I know of in cisco's lineup these days. Of course you could also get a low end router that would support trunking also to give you L3 connectivity though the throughput wouldn't be as fast as a 3750 . Depends on how much traffic you think will be L3 routed.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

The 2950 is a layer 2 switch. It can define the VLANs but it can not route.

HTH

Rick

Purple

I would say your guess is probably right I believe the 3750 is probably the lowest priced box that will do L2/L3 or you can look for a used older 3550 . The 2950 is the only L2 box that I know of in cisco's lineup these days. Of course you could also get a low end router that would support trunking also to give you L3 connectivity though the throughput wouldn't be as fast as a 3750 . Depends on how much traffic you think will be L3 routed.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content