cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

intervlan routing

pwallace
Level 1
Level 1

we are inserting two new 6513 into our lan to be our core. We have configure core1 to be root for odd vlans and core2 for even vlans. We can route traffic between odd to odd per vlan and even to even per vlan. How do we route for odd to even. We have an etherchannel connecting between the two they are secondary roots for the opposite vlans.

11 Replies 11

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pete

It would be helpful to know a bit more about how you configured the 6513s, especially how you have the layer 3 vlan interfaces configured. When you talk about core1 being root for odd vlans this is a layer 2 consideration. It has little to do with how layer 3 will route. (It might have some significance if you configured HSRP to run between the core switch/router, this is one of the things we do not know about your configuration)

If you configure vlan interfaces for each vlan (on both switches) then routing between vlans is easy and it just happens. If you only configure odd vlans on core1 and even vlans on core 2 then you need to configure a layer 3 connection between the cores and you need to run some routing protocol between the cores.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

we are going to implement hsrp on both of the cores but have not done that step at this time. We have just configured the vlans at this point and not sure on how to pass that traffic from one core to the next core.

Pete

HSRP is good and provides a solution of potential failure of the end station's configured default gateway. But HSRP does not directly impact the ability to route between VLANs.

If core1 has interface vlan 5 with an appropriate IP address configured, and has interface vlan 6 with an appropriate IP address configured, then core1 can route between the VLANs. The cores should be able to communicate with each other via the EtherChannel/trunk which I believe you said was on the switches.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have an etherchannel trunk between the two core switchs, but I am still unable to communicate between vlans. I can route traffic through them with failover for each switch, but not communicate between odd and even vlans. I attached a real quick viso drawing

Pete

I have looked at your diagram and there are still some things that are not clear which might be helpful to know. Would you post the configuration from both core for vlan 100, vlan 110, vlan 120, and vlan 130. I suspect that something is missing or is mismatched. If you post the configurations we may be able to figure out what it is.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

going back through etherchannel docs I did not assign an ip to my port channel here is the config on the channel

interface Port-channel10

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

Pete

As a trunk you do not need an IP address on it.

Does core1 have the 4 vlan interfaces configured? Does core2 have the 4 vlan interfaces configured? If so would you post those configurations?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

here are the configs

Pete

Thanks for posting the configs. They confirm what I had wondered about. core1 only configures 2 VLANs and core2 configures the other 2 VLANs. While it is possible to make this work, it is not the way it is usually done.

The common solution would be to configure all 4 VLANs on core1 and configure all 4 VLANs on core2. In this situation routing between VLANs is easy and does not require any special configuration.

To make your configuration work, you will need to configure some layer 3 subnet that is common to both core1 and core2. And then you will have to define routing information (perhaps static routes or perhaps a dynamic routing protocol) that will tell core1 how to get to the VLANs that are configured on core2.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I put all four vlans on each switch and it worked, this is what we were looking for thanks for the help!!!

Pete

I am glad that we were able to help solve your issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick