Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

intervlan routing

If I have say 2 subinterfaces on my router, vlan 200 and vlan 300, will say the pc's in vlan 1 automatically be able to see these as they will be using the normal interface fa 0/0 ?

5 REPLIES

Re: intervlan routing

Hi ,

You have to configure a Trunk between Switch and Router which will enable all the VLANs to travel to router and router will do the Inter VLAN routing.This is known as Router on stick .

regards

Neo

You need to set the encapsulation(ISL or dot1Q) on the subinterfaces as well if you are trunking from the switch to the router. If everything is working as it should, then the PCs in one VLAN should not be able to see eachother without using the router(this includes VLAN 1, it's still a VLAN).

I hope that helps a bit.

Hi

In addition to above postsu need toconfigure a sub-interface for vlan 1 ie if u want the number of vlans to communicate with eachother u need to have that many number of sub-interaces.

Thanks

Mahmood

thanks Mahmood, that was my question, do I still need to configure a sub if for vlan 1 ? so will it not work without this ? i.e encap dot1q 1 , is this correct ?

thanks

HI

Yes u have to configure it.

Thanks

Mahmood

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content