Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid Multicast Traffic

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I keep getting

%SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Invalid traffic from multicast source address 45:00:05:aa:f0:9e on port 4/3.

In trying to look for 45:00:05:aa:f0:9e using the sh cam dynamic, none of the MAC addresses listed starts with 45:00.xx.xx.xx.xx. The 45:00.xx.xx seems to be a mu

So please please how do I find out whcih port is sedning this invalid traffic.

Thanks

14 Replies 14

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

How about port 4/3?

Thanks for your help. I have looked through the thread, Thanks

But still how do I go about finding what MAC address 45:00:aa:bb:cc:dd. I still cannot find the interface that uses this MAC address as all the entries I can see so far begin with 00.

Where do I see a listing of all MAC addresses beginning with 45:

Thanks

Steve,

you can search thru you r mac table (depending on your IOS/switch) using the following command:

sh mac-address-table | include 45:

or

sh cam dynamic | include 45:

use the following link for more information on the piping function:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a00800873f0.html

Please refer:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/34.shtml#MCAST_SOURCE_MAC

Here the mac address starts with 81.

Thank you all so very much for you help.

The only thing is that I still have not been able to find the device with the MAC address 45:00:xx:xx:xx. I have used the command sh cam dynam,sh cam stati and all other that has been suggested but all to no solution.

Please can you further help. I know there has to be an entry of MAC addresses starting with 45:xx:xx somewhere but all I keep seeing are the normal 00 or 01 but not 45.

Thanks

I am getting similiar error msg. Mac 45:00. xx.xx.xx. Can't locate the address. Have you had any further feedback?

kmcdonnell
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen this before it may actually be caused by a faulty NIC in the device connected to your port 4/3. If you look at traces of traffic from 4/3 you may see the packets are actually errored giving a false MAC address. Replace the NIC

Worked for me.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We have seen these messages many times and have not figured this out because half the time it references a non existant port on the switch like 4/58 , i would love to know how trace this out myself as mine all start with 45 too I believe .

lpoon
Level 1
Level 1

I have replaced the nic in question and the error disappeared. It told a while to track down the faulty nic. thks all for your suggestions.

Please how were you able to trace the NIC. I have the invalid addresses coming form 45:00:xx:xx:xx:xx but I cannot seem to trace it or track it down.

Please help.

Thanks

I went through the syslog for all the switches and on one of the switch, it actually showed me the port number with the wrong mac address. The actual mac add. for the nic in question was 08:00:xx:xx:xx:xx. I replaced the nic.

2003 Jan 08 15:33:06 %SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Invalid traffic from multicast source address 45:00:05:dc:8b:9c on port 2/40

Thanks

But not to sound too ...

What I am getting is

2003 Jan 10 14:38:28 %SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Invalid traffic from multicast source address 45:00:00:53:15:8f on port 1/2.

I have searched through all the syslogg using - show logg buff 1023- of all the switches but cannot find a log entry for rhe above. The port 1/2 is actually a trunk port.

I am curious as to how you went about getting the 08:00:xx:xx:xx equivalent of

45:00:05:dc:8b:9c.

Thanks

Is port 1/2 a trunking port? If it is, it could be on another switch. If it is a host

connected port, are you getting any fcs/xmit errs? Replace the card if you have. It worked for me. I have not got the err since replacing the card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: