cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Invalid port Type between Cat3508 WS-G5484 and Cat4006 WS-G5484

t.wacker
Level 1
Level 1

The connection between the two switches failed with the message "invalid port type". This message I see only on the cat3808 after rebooting the system. The LED on the catalyst 3508 glitter orange the LED on the cat4006 is green. The ports (show interface g0/1 an sh po 1/1) are connected but on the cat3508 the show spanning tree commands has an "broken" status. I haven´t any communication over the link (cdp, IP, etc). If I connect on the same cable a cat3550-48-smi switch to the cat4006 the connection works very well.

I thinks this is a problem of the cat3508 switch.

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you trunk on this link? Can you paste the configs for gig 0/1 on your XL and port 1/1 on your 4006? Also what software verion are you running on the XL. Spanning tree state normally displays broken if one end of the link is configured for trunking and the other end is not

Yes, I trunk on the link (802.1q) on both sides. In the first setup we use only the default vlan. I will you send the informations about the switches tomorow. Thanks a lot.

Thomas

Hello,

did you receive my email with the configurations and the versions of the switches ?

Thanks.

Thomas