cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS code & MSFC router on SUP-II

abatson
Level 1
Level 1

I've got two of the WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE cards in my 6513 switch in my datacenter. They both have one boot-image and one IOS image in the MSFC's flash. Yet both the configs have the "boot system flash bootflash:<IOS filename> in them. Is this needed? Can I remove it for sake of simplicity?

Also, If the Active Supervisor is on the same card as the active router (via HSRP), can I reboot the router, and NOT AFFECT the Supervisor process? I can't kill my datacenter switch when I just want to restart the MSFC router.

-Alex

2 Replies 2

rmcarthur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alex, I always include a boot system command. Not sure if it's always the case but you usually end up in router(boot)> without one.

Check which is the active msfc with the sh fm feature command or sh redundancy.

Depending on how you have the msfc's configured (dual or single router mode), recovery time from a failed msfc can be only a few seconds for dual mode or 2 mins trouble free forwarding (cef tables maintained by sup during this period) with possibility of problems after, if new active msfc hasn't completed building it's tables, in single mode. Any changes in topology during this time would not be seen...

Either way, pick a quiet time and Good Luck!

briedcan
Level 1
Level 1

alex

you don't have to use the boot statements. what msfc2 will do if there are no boot statements is pull the first file from bootflash: and load it. if the full image is the first file then you have nothing to worry about but if the boot image is first then you will end up in boot mode. hope that helps

bc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco