Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

IOS Image too big, need help

Folks,

I have dual Sup 720's that just came in from cisco. They have CATOS on them 8.4.(5). They have the base 524MB of DRAM and 64MB of flash(bootflash), no external flash card.

My question is that i want to download Natice IOS onto this switch (122.18SXE4). When i see the requirements it tells me that i need 128MB of flash, but when i download the file it is only 35 MB big.

Ca i run this image on my SUP with out upgrading the flash?

I will make sure that i grade this post.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: IOS Image too big, need help

If the image size is less than 64MB, then booting from bootflash is OK. Beginning with Sup720 12.2(18)SXE and later versions, most Native IOS images exceed the 64MB capacity of all internal partitions, including the sup-bootflash: or MSFC3 bootflash:

partitions, so for 12.2(18)SXE and later an external flash device of at least 128MB is required with Cisco part number MEM-C6K-CPTFL128M=. For multiple concurrent image support in this boot device, the external 256MB CompactFlash Cisco part number of MEM-C6K-CPTFL256M= is required to use as the external boot device.

Some feature sets of versions > 12.2(18)SXE result in a smaller file, but as long as it is less than 64MB, there is no problem with loading it onto onboard flash.

Views
Helpful
Replies