Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Issues

kradjesh13
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Seems I did some mistake while upgrading the IOS image in one of our 837 ADSL router. After restarting the system it went to Rommon mode. The following message appears .

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:"

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(11r)YV3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C800/SOHO series (Board ID: 23-127) platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

This is the first time i comming across this issue. I tried to change the confegreg to 0x142 and reset.

Still no use. I am having the same issue.

Can any one help me in fixing the issues.

Thanks

Rajesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajesh,

Once you enter all these variables, enter in 'tftpdnld' again,just by itself and it should start the download.

Paresh

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Rajesh,

Can you pls enter in the following commands in see what images are present in flash:

dir flash:

Then, enter in the following command:

boot flash:

Then see how you go....

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

Can you manually boot the router from ROMMON using 'boot (image file)' or 'i' ?

Can you show the contents of flash to verify an IOS image exists?

Thanks Paresh

I can see that I did a blundered mistake while using the command you suggested me.

rommon 1 > dir flash:

File size Checksum File name

13970 bytes (0x3692) 0x9ad6 myconfig.txt

Then I gave the next command which you asked me to give

boot flash: myconfig.txt and got the following output

rommon 2 > boot flash: myconfig.txt

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "flash:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/121/85TsgStrt.html.

I went through the above given Cisco web site and it suggests to replace the flash card. In 837 we dont have any flash cards as such.

So, can you kindly suggest me the other set of procedures to be followed.

Thanks

Rajesh

Okay, the problerm is that you do not have a software image in your flash. One option is to download an image to a TFTP server and then do a tftp boot of the router using that image.

Are you in a position to download the image ?

Paresh.

Thanks Mr Sing

I went through the link which you sent me. My router directly enters to rommon mode when i switch on the routers power.

My problem is, i really even know how to enter into the boot# prompt from the rommon mode.

If there is any way i welcome your suggestions.

Thanks

Rajesh

Rajesh,

Once you get the image, follow the procedure in the following link in order to boot the router using TFTP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080118d19.html#1020643

Let me know if you hit any issues.

Paresh

Yes, I can download the image Paresh.

But, I copied the IOS image from other unused 837 router its, c837-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XC2. (But not sure this is the image you mean in your post). And copied this image to my tftp root.

Guessing this as the correct image and the image you ware speaking about, and followed the commands

tftpdnld -r

IP_ADDRESS=1.3.6.7

IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.0.0

DEFAULT_GATEWAY=1.3.0.1

TFTP_SERVER=223.255.254.254 (my laptop’s Ethernet address)

TFTP_FILE=c837-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin

After hitting enter nothing is happening. I think I am making mistakes in IP addressing.

Thanks

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh,

Once you enter in those variables, does the router ask you to enter 'y' to continue ?

If that still does not work, I suggest that you plug your laptop straight into the router (using a crossover cable) so that you don't have to route to the tftp server on the laptop ... Give the laptop an address from the 1.3.x.x network.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh+

Paresh,

I am copying the configs which i assigned to my router. But nothing is working out

rommon 2 > tftpdnld -r

switchpo

The following variables are REQUIRED to be set for tftpdnld:

IP_ADDRESS: The IP address for this unit

IP_SUBNET_MASK: The subnet mask for this unit

DEFAULT_GATEWAY: The default gateway for this unit

TFTP_SERVER: The IP address of the server to fetch from

TFTP_FILE: The filename to fetch

The following variables are OPTIONAL:

TFTP_VERBOSE: Print setting. 0=quiet, 1=progress(default), 2=verbose

TFTP_RETRY_COUNT: Retry count for ARP and TFTP (default=7)

TFTP_TIMEOUT: Overall timeout of operation in seconds (default=7200)

TFTP_CHECKSUM: Perform checksum test on image, 0=no, 1=yes (default=1)

Command line options:

-r: do not write flash, load to DRAM only and launch image

-u: upgrade the rommon, system will reboot once upgrade is complete

rommon 3 >

rommon 3 > IP_ADDRESS=1.3.6.7

rommon 4 > IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.0.0

rommon 5 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=1.3.0.1

rommon 6 > TFTP_SERVER=1.3.5.1

rommon 7 > TFTP_FILE=c837-k9o3y6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin

rommon 8 >

I have connected the router with my laptop using a X-over cable. The tftp server is also running in my laptop. The image file is copied into my tftp-root folder.

If you look at the rommon 7, i have added the extension as .bin. Thought it might be the issue and remove the .bin extension another time and nothing happened.

Dont know why this happens.

Thanks

Rajesh

Rajesh,

Once you enter all these variables, enter in 'tftpdnld' again,just by itself and it should start the download.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh

The issue is fixed and all the credits goes to you. The command ‘tftpdnld’ and gave the default gateway as the same as my laptops IP. Then every thing worked fine.

From this I learnt that only experience shapes up a person. I am usually afraid to play with the IOS, Flash and related stuffs. But since I killed a router I learnt how to fix the issue now.

But all I can say is only Netpro and some persons like you helped me a lot. I can differentiate myself while I started my career before 4 month and now. I am gaining confidence on myself now.

Once again thanks for your patience and and also for your help. Hope soon i wish I will be meeting you since I am also living in Australia.

Regards

Rajesh

Thanks for the compliments, Rajesh. It was indeed a pleasure to help you sort out your problem.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: