cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS ROMMON Software

jlancaster
Level 1
Level 1

What does the IOS ROMMON software (for a switch) do compared to the regular IOS or Cat image? Does an IOS ROMMON image allow you to run the switch without any images in the flash? I have always wondered why the ROMMON's (on routers) have a version number similar to an IOS version number but yet the functionality of the ROMMON is limited to only a few commands. Can someone explain why you would have an IOS ROMMON image??? Just a question I have long wanted answered.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

The rommon is needed for maintenance purposes, such as password recovery, TFTP downloads in cases where the flash file is corrupt or you dont have access to regular router mode. Can also be used for doing diagnostic tests.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I understand all of this but I want to know why Cisco calls it an "IOS ROMMON" image if it only contains basic commands to load flash and to boot the device. Calling it IOS implies to me that it has the same functionality as an IOS software image. The IOS ROMMON doesn't have these capabilities. Why the name IOS ROMMON???