cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upgrade on Cat4506

bradjones
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrade the IOS on my Catalyst 4506 with Supervisor Engine IV.

This switch has 64MB of Flash and 512MB of DRAM.

The current IOS is bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-20.EW.bin and I am trying to upgrade to cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin.

I have successfully TFTP’d the new IOS to bootflash, (when I type “show bootflash” I can see both IOS’s), however when I reload the switch it complains about an invalid something or another and gives me a rommon1>.

If I type “boot” at rommon> the switch boots with the old IOS and functions properly.

I tried adding the line “boot system flash cat4000- i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin” to the startup-config, but I still get the same problem.

Have I missed a step here???

Thank you for any suggestions you can offer!

-Brad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your boot statement is incorrect , needs to be "boot system flash bootflash: " . Copy run start. It boots from rommon from the old one because it is the first image it finds in flash .

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

HI Brad,

It is possible that when you loaded the IOS into the bootflash it may have gone corrupted.

Can you issue verify command with the new IOS image to verify the checksum value for the new image.

If it says corrupt then you may need to tftp the image again.

Regards,

Ankur

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your boot statement is incorrect , needs to be "boot system flash bootflash: " . Copy run start. It boots from rommon from the old one because it is the first image it finds in flash .

Okay, so I changed the startup-config to the following... "boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i5k91s-mz.122-25.EWA4.bin"

This should this work now - right?

-BJ

It should boot the correct image . Make sure the config register is set to 0x2102.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: