Cisco Support Community
Community Member

IOS upgrade

What is the best practice for IOS updates... Is it best to always be at the latest revisions even if everything is working fine. (granted IOS releases provide security patches)..

also, when would one jump from 12.1 to 12.2 or 3 or 4?

Cisco Employee

Re: IOS upgrade

There are several different philosophies on this. I personally am of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

Major revisions (12.1, 12.2, etc) always add support for new features and hardware. Unless you need support for such new features or hardware, staying within a given point revision is advisable in my opinion. New features bring the possibility of new bugs, so if the need isn't there, the risk isn't worth it.

When there is a bug, security advisory, or other need to upgrade, I tend to advise upgrading to the latest rebuild of a version. So if I'm running 12.2(17d)SXB5, and I encounter a bug that is fixed in 12.2(17d)SXB7, I would upgrade to 12.2(17d)SXB11 (which is the latest rebuild), as it will have all bug fixes currently available for the 12.2(17d) train, even though I may not have run into those specific bugs.

Again, these are all personal philosophies from my own experiences rather than any type of official guideline.

Community Member

Re: IOS upgrade

we always base our upgrades on the security advisories..

CreatePlease to create content