cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade

vkoprivica
Level 1
Level 1

How can I load IOS which 5mb long, on 2500 series router that has two 8mb memory sticks?

11 Replies 11

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

You should able to use two flash RAM as a single storage. However, you have to ensure the flash memory you get is supported by the hardware. Is it bought from Cisco or 3rd party ? If it is 3rd party, please check the compatiblity.

Then you may find there is partition command in the router. Try to remove the partition command then check the flash size.

However, if you already have one 8M flash, the 5M IOS should be able to put into the flash w/o require additional flash.

You can use "sh ver" to verify the TOTAL flash size. And use "sh flash" to show the flash status.

Hope this helps.

I made a mistake. This should be the question.

How can I load IOS which 15mb long, on 2500 series router that has two 8mb memory sticks? These sticks are both compatible by Cisco hardware.

Hi

In general the router will show you the combined space available...Is it not in your case?

Can you give the " show flash" or "dir" output after installing both the flash sticks.

Regards

JD

System flash directory, partition 1:

File Length Name/status

1 4314876 c2500-i-l.112-26d.bin

[4314940 bytes used, 4073668 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

System flash directory, partition 2:

File Length Name/status

1 7990616 /c2500-i-l.121-2.T.bin

[7990680 bytes used, 397928 available, 8388608 total]

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

You need to unpartition the flash. From the config mode issue the command 'no partition flash' and it should make the flash just one partition.

The router may prompt you need to erase the flash before unpartitioning. If it does then issue the command 'erase flash:1:' and 'erase flash:2:' from the privilege exec mode and then do the 'no partition flash.

HTH,

Sundar

Try to backup the running IOS image before erase it. You may need to fallback to the original IOS.

Then enter "no partition flash" to remove the parition then you will have 16MB flash. Link for your reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800ca742.html

Hope this helps.

Than you guys I did it.

Can I also do this with 2600 series of routers?

Yes, you can.

Can I use this memory to upgrade my routers?

http://www.ciscomemoryupgrades.com/mem-1x8f-pcw.html

In fact, many 3rd party memory can work w/ Cisco equipment. However, Cisco will always recommend to use Cisco provided memory.

Therefore, I can only say if the supplier say it works in Cisco equipment, you make the decision to trust it or not. I can advise.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: