Views
Helpful
Replies

ios upgrades - not enough flash memory

r.dufton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have recently purchased an adsl wic for a cisco2600 router. As a consequence I have been forced to a buy an ip plus feature pack to support this device. The new ios is 16.6mb and my onboard flash for this standard 2620 router is 16.3Mb. The ios will therefore not load. Is there anything I can do or do i need some type of flash upgrade. Even when i delete the old ios there is still not enough space. Can this be right ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Richard

9 Replies 9

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can upgrade the flash or load the image from a tftp server. I prefer the first solution.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

thanks for the reply,

i have been using a tftp server but the upload always fails because of the lack of memory. I am not confident about having to justify both an ip feature pack upgrade and a flash upgrade to my bosses just for a 2620 using an adsl card. I have also found out that if i upgrade from 16mb to 32mb on a 2620xm i also need a ROM upgrade!(I found this out when i added 16mb from another router and the initial router would not recognise it). Is this true?

I was hoping there would be a workaround but the fact that i potentially have to upgrade the feature pack, flash, and rom for a simple adsl card is worrying especially due to the abundant nature of very much cheaper alternative products.

Can anyone think of any other solutions ?

thanks

If the tftp didn't work it is aclear signed that you need to upgrade the DRAM. If you are willing to load the image from a tftp server then you won't need to upgrade the flash but you at least need to have enough DRAMto run the image.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks again for the reply,

i have checked the memory in the router and it says it is 34mb. 16mb is allocated to the flash and i assume the remainder is seperated between the i/o and the memory. can i use commands such as memory-size iomem to 'borrow' some of the dram allocated to the i/o and memory. I would only need to take a mb or 2. if this is possible could someone confirm the commands i would need,

thanks

Richard

Richard,

I suppose you are running something close to 12.2(15)T. If you go on CCO the minimum memory requirements for that level of code is 64MB DRAM and 32 MB Flash. If you go under these requirements, your config is not supported. For more information about memory requirements see the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosresult.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=2620-2621&software_name=IP%20PLUS&release_name=12.2.13T10&majorRel=12.2&state=:HW:SW:RL&type=Early%20Deployment

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I use c2600-ik9o3s3-mz.122-15.T10.bin, i.e.

12.2(15)T10, it has 14.4 MB (15,182,844 bytes).

The minimum requirements for this image are 64MB Dram and 16 MB Flash. So this would at least solve your flash issue.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

thanks to all for your responses.

if i use the ios mentionned above will i be able to both install and use an adsl wic and fit the image in the 16mb flash. is this a viable alternative to having to upgrade the router ?

thanks

You would still need to upgrade the DRAM from 32 to 64MB.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: