cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Addreess and Port Number

vikrantarora
Level 1
Level 1

we have 4 vlans configured on the catalyst switch. Is there a way to find out which port on the ctalyst switch i m connected to using just my ip address?

I know the range of ports for my vlan but how do i exacty find out which one is for my machine. IP of my machine is static. I can not see the label on the network port frm which I am getting onto the network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can go to the switch, and give a show mac-address-table or show cam dynamic, (command depends on switch). The mac-address of your PC will be associated with the corresponding port on your switch. You can use "ipconfig /all" or winipcfg on your PC (depends on OS) to find out your MAC address. Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can go to the switch, and give a show mac-address-table or show cam dynamic, (command depends on switch). The mac-address of your PC will be associated with the corresponding port on your switch. You can use "ipconfig /all" or winipcfg on your PC (depends on OS) to find out your MAC address. Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks!

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

If you know your MAC address of your NIC, you can just telnet the switch(es) and run one of the following commands:

For Catalyst OS switches like the 4000, 5000, 6000 series:

show cam 01-23-45-67-89-10

For Cisco IOS switches like the 2950, 3500, or 3550 series:

show mac-address-table address 0123.4567.8910

where 012345678910 is the MAC address of your NIC.

If you don't know the MAC address of a machine, but you know its IP address, from a router on the same subnet ping the IP address, then run this command:

show ip arp 10.20.30.40

where 10.20.30.40 is the IP address you are trying to get a MAC address for. Once you get the MAC address, search the tables as described previously.

If the MAC address shows up on a switch port that you know to be a connection to another switch, then you need to trace it on that other switch until you find an access port where that MAC address resides.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: