Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

IP address binding with MAC address

Several times over the last few weeks, I have had a problem with IP/MAC binding when swapping out printer NICs and reprogramming the new NIC with the old NICs IP addess. It is taking approx 3 hours before I can ping the new NIC from a different VLAN than the one the NIC is in. I can ping okay from within the same VLAN.

A 6509 with MSFC is handling the VLAN routing.

Some things I have tried are:

1. Clearing the CAM table on the 6509.

2. Clearing the routing table of the 6509 MSFC.

3. Clearing the mac-address-table on the switch the printer NIC is connected to.

None of this has worked. Any hints/suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: IP address binding with MAC address

Clear the IP ARP cache on the 6509's MSFC, and on any other Layer 3 switches, routers, or PIX Firewalls that are directly attached to the subnet where you swapped out the NICs.

Default time interval for these Cisco devices to naturally age out the IP-address-to-MAC-address mappings is typically 4 hours. Clearing it manually will accelerate the process.

Hope this helps.

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: IP address binding with MAC address

Clear the IP ARP cache on the 6509's MSFC, and on any other Layer 3 switches, routers, or PIX Firewalls that are directly attached to the subnet where you swapped out the NICs.

Default time interval for these Cisco devices to naturally age out the IP-address-to-MAC-address mappings is typically 4 hours. Clearing it manually will accelerate the process.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content