Views
Helpful
Replies

ip address change automatically of 2950 series switch

b-malkan
Level 1
Level 1

dear sir,

we have 2950 series switch in our network,it has taken ip address of the another server and that time the server not able to access by system admin yesterday

from oue end we didnt give any ip address thr console port,

we havent any configuration n password sat for telnet

so how swich taken the ip of another server,which i laying with the same network

meanwhile this time NT server reinstalled in the lan,server n switch also in lan,which are also in wan.

so plz guide me why n how switch had taken ip address of the server which is in the same network

3 Replies 3

rmaster
Level 1
Level 1

I could see 2 reasons -a)you have not set telnet pwd , so someone unauthorised could have logged into your n/w and could have changed the IP address.

b) do you have a tftp server on your LAN , that might have provided ip add to your switch , that too if you have specified a tftp path on your cat 2950.

srittenberg
Level 1
Level 1

the switch could be a DHCP client. is the server also setup as DHCP client? The switch is getting the IP from a DHCP server from the DHCP scope. You may assigned an ip address to the switch and not to use the switch autoconfig. for Telnet, you must setup the vty login password in order to use telnet.

bsivasub
Level 4
Level 4

Switch uses DHCP to try to get an ip address if none is configured.

Make sure you exclude the server ip address in your DHCP server. IF not this switch, some other client could still get the server's static address ( I assume).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: