cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip address of the default gateway

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to configure a Cat-2980 switch from my laptop. The laptop has a 172.21.59.1 255.255.255.0 address and the switch has 172.21.59.2 255.255.255.0 address. What do I use for the default gateway?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

dathaide
Level 1
Level 1

You default gateway is the ip address of the router (ethernet port) the switch connects to.

thanks

Thanks for your response. I do not have the router yet. Just the laptop and the switch.

robho
Level 3
Level 3

The switch does not route. It's interface is for mgmt only and will need a GW as well. You will need a router in this setup. If everyone is on the same IP subnet and vlan, and there is no need to talk to other subnets, than no GW or router is needed.

OK. But in order to TFTP the config to the switch, I need to be able to access the switch from my laptop. So far, I can't even ping it.

You have something wrong in your configurtion or setup in the PC. If you are on the same segment as the switch you should not need a router since you and the switch are on the same segment. Post your configs

thanks

You're absolutely right. The problem turned out to be the port that I plugged the ethernet cable to happened to be defined on a different VLAN than my laptop.

Thanks a lot to everyone who responded.