Replies

ip address overlapping between a Vlan and a no switch port in catalyst 3650 mls

enfelak101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

i have a serious problem in my network that i need an urgent solution for

i have got an 2811 router and a 3560 Cisco catalyst switch 

the 2811 router has two interfaces (f0/0 & f0/1) 

f0/1 is connected to the Wan and f0/0 is connected to the 3560 switch through f0/2 port in the switch 

i made f0/2 in the switch as no switch port 

i created an SVI for Vlan 1 and i have given an IP address to INT Vlan 1 , when i am trying to give f0/2 an ip address from the same subnet of int vlan 1 , it tells me that there is an overlapping with Vlan 1 subnet 

how can i solve this problem 

2 Replies 2

Hi

Because the made fa0/2 on the switch a routed port (no switchport); vlan1 and the link between the switch and the router now resides in different broadcast domains and should therefore have IP addresses from different subnets.

You can either make fa0/2 on the switch a switchport again, or make the link between the router and the switch reside in the same subnet, that is different from the subnet of vlan1 on the switch.

On the switch, you assign ip address to the vlan interface.  You do not have to add an IP address on the individual switch port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: