cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Address & Port Assignment with Cisco Catalyst 2924XL

raffle
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if there was a way to tell which IP address is connected to a specific port on the Catalyst 2924XL. I've gone through the web interface of the switch and couldn't find anything that explicitly indicated this info. Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

mainesy
Level 1
Level 1

The easiest way to do this (without having to install any additonal software like MRTG) is to get the MAC address of the device in question. Once you get the MAC address you can log on to the 2924XL (using the CLI) and do a SHOW MAC and scroll through the MAC address table. Once you find the MAC address in the table, if you look on the right it will display the interface the MAC was found on. It's been awhile since I used the web interface on a 2924XL but I believe there is a MAC table option as well in the web software, if you don't want to use the CLI. Hope this helps.

Josh

Thanks for your assistance with this. Unfortunately there isn't a particular device in question but I am now trying to create documentation that details the port maps since we do not currently have any reference for this information. Looking at the MAC addresses listings for the 2 switches we have some ports have multiple MAC addresses, which I am assuming it means that the port services multiple PCs through one connection? Also, some of the ports that have physical connections and have an 'up' status are still not shown in MAC address listing. I was not sure what would necessarily caused this.

I was looking into the MRTG software that was mentioned and I see where it provides monitoring capability but does it also allow you to check get an actual port listing with IP addresses?

Again, thanks for any assistance you or anyone else can provide. Please let me know if there is anything that I can clarify regarding my situation.

The switch is a layer 2 device, it does not even know that ip is running on the attached connections. If it is configured with an ip address for management then that is all it knows about ip. Mapping ip addresses to ports is a manual process by showing the mac address table in the switch and matching it to an arp table from a router on the segment.

Thanks for all your help. I figured that it may be a manual process because when I did the 'show ip interface brief' command, all of the IP addresses for the ports were 'unassigned'. I was holding out hope but thanks for clarifying the situation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: