Views
Helpful
Replies

IP ADDRESSING TRANSITION

mwandu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fellows;

I have been pondering on this solution since morning but I now want to share with you the brain storming. We have a client that has proposed a change of ip addressing. The routing protocol in that is running on the router is EIGRP. With that in consideration, there is one AS already defined on the routers.

As there is need to be smooth with the transition, I have been thinking that the best way would be to define new EIGRP AS for the new ip addressing which I will define as secondary ip address. This is because one the end users node a change routing can still take place, is it possible for this to work?

For example for the network interfaces;

192.168... Primary

10.0...... Secondary

Thanks for your efforts,

2 Replies 2

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hi,

may this will help...

i think you can do this by also influancing Administrative distance of routing protocol. you can assign new ip addresses as secondary IP and then publish that ip address in the routing protocol with influated AD.

rate the post if it helps.

regards

Devang

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

There is a restiction using EIGRP and secondary addresses. If I remember correctly it is related to the eigrp multicast's always being generated with the primary as the source address. This would mean your second AS's wound never see each other on the addresses they were looking for.

As the above post suggests you are propable better off atempting to adjust the metric within a single EIGRP AS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: