cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP assignment by username?

gaban
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 3661 router that we Ras into and get authenticated to an external raduis server for the secure ID. Occasionally we get a user that all of a sudden will not work anymore he logins gets an ip address the gets kick out with a winsock error. IP's given out via an address Pool on the router. Our fix is to get them another username and all is working again. by the way user gets the SAME IP everytime they login.

My question is does the router hand out the ip by username, if so where can we clear that? When we retire a username does the ip stay with that username?

If the router does not hand out IP's via username how does it know to give the same person the same IP everytime?

Is there another fix fro the problem above?

thanks,

gilbert

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the ip address will be allocated via address pool on the router, the router should allocate the ip address based on availability and not by the username. So it will not allocate the same ip address all the time to a perticular user.

Have you seen that user is always getting the same ip address all the time? Means if user dialin and disconnect, again dialin after 1-2 hours, still gets the same ip address? That should not happen.

I assume that you have "dialer in-band" configured. Issue "sh dialer map" when that user connects and disconncts and see the dynamic dialer-map for that user gets cleared once that user dropped off or disconncted.

Yes user get the same IP that was given to them the first time they log in.

We do have the dialer in-band configured.

For some reason as was stated in my problem the user gets the same IP. Once in awhile we get a problem that they get disconnected after looging in getting a winsosk error like the IP has been corrupted? We give them another username and they worl again because they get a new ip address .

I did check the dialer map and did not see the problematic user there, so I am assuming that it releases it.

I will retest with my login

thanks,

gilbert

thanks,

gilbert

gaban
Level 1
Level 1

addtion to my reply to you.

all our users gets the same ip the was given to them when they first login .

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks to me that PC is the one which may be caching that ip address once they get that Winsosk error. Anyway if youget a report like that again now, do not change the username and ask the user to dialin with the same username and enable following debug and capture it for him

debug ppp negotiation

debug ppp authentication

debug aaa authentication

debug aaa authorization

debug dialer

Above debug will indicate that how the ip address negotiation is going on etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: